Thursday, November 17, 2011

Groceries, Holiday Treats and Wedding Gowns

Tuesday was supposed to be day 1 of cycle 1.5 for me. HA. It was a fail. I ate way too many carbs (but at least I got rid of the leftovers...) and not enough vegetables. Yesterday was much better. I had two slices of toast and two poached eggs for lunch before going to work from 4 until 8. Those two slices of multigrain are not natural starches from the food list. But they had whole grains and are less processed (in my mind) than if I had had two slices of white bread or a heap of white macaroni. So I am not going to beat myself up over it. Especially considering I don't think I would have made it and been nearly as cheerful at work if I hadn't eaten them.

One of the problems that I and a lot of others have is grocery shopping. Sometimes we just have to wait until payday to go to the grocery store and that leaves the produce sections of our homes quite bare. I realized this yesterday when I was eating the last of the salad and thought the only veggies I have left in this place are starches (peas, corn, potatoes) or aromatics (onions and garlic). While onions and garlic are two of my favorite foodstuffs, they are not exactly fillers if you know what I mean. Thankfully grocery shopping should get done sometime today.

I am even going to buy some things that aren't on the food list to make a holiday surprise. I would try to take the sugar out of it, but I don't think the recipe will work with Agave or Maple syrup (although that would be a neat experiment) and it requires too much sugar to replace it with Truvia, Kresida, or Splenda without nasty aftertastes and massive headaches caused by these ingredients (to me anyway).  I also don't feel bad for this because its a holiday treat. I made it through Halloween without having one single piece of candy, chocolate, or sugary substance. I damn well intend to have a few treats at Christmas. I also acknowledge and accept that usually at Christmas I cook for others and others cook for me, and I can't control others but I can control what I cook and how much of everything else I eat. It will all be about moderation and not overindulging when I'm at home. I'll save the 'biggest' or 'worst/least healthy' cheat-treats for when I am out with others.

I have also come to recognize that I haven't mentioned WHY I am revamping with the healthy eating thing. I noted before that I was going wedding dress shopping soon and I didn't want it to end badly. Well it didn't end badly but I was disappointed that some very pretty dresses would not fit over my bum. Bridal shops have the best intentions when they order samples is a variety of sizes but I really felt that the two shops I went to carried a number of designers that made dresses my size, but still only had those dresses in a size 12. It was disheartening. I also think that bridal shops should order multiple sample dresses including the BIGGEST size. Have a smaller size, a middle size, and the largest size possible. You see teeny tiny size 4 brides swimming in a size 10 or 12 dress with the corset done up really tight and the big plastic clips holding it together in the back. It might not be a big deal for them (or it might I don't really know), but think, just THINK of what an amazing boost it might give some of the bigger girls to try on a size 28 or 30 dress that needs to have clips put on the back because it's too big! It would be stupendous! That beautiful girl's day would be MADE. Instead, we get poorly placed modesty panels, bunchy and buckled waistlines, and bulges in all the wrong places. Which, FYI bridal peeps, makes it ALOT harder to fall in love with a dress because we can't actually see the real shape it will give us when it actually fits.

I have always dreamed of having a wedding business if I won the lottery and needed something awesome to do with my time. I would definitely have dresses in a wider range of sizes than 8, 10, 12, 18, and 20. Even if it meant ordering multiple of the same dress. That way the true variety of a bridal shop would shine.

But for now, I am back on the healthy living plan. I am eating paycheck to paycheck. I am continuing to search for a wedding dress. And I am trying to drop another dress size or two so that I can get a better picture of what two favorite dresses from the salons I have already been to will look like on me in the right size. Minus the tummy bulge and buckled sides. 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment