Friday, December 2, 2011

Comfort Food for Sad or Crappy Days

Okay, so lets set the scene. I injured myself playing badminton last night and didn't sleep well from the pain and the most random weird dreams (we're talking vivid... VIVID childbirthing dreams, someone trying to kill me, and being in a sporting goods store getting attacked by really heavy soccer balls that explode). Now let me assure you that this post does NOT end with me being a candidate for the "I didn't know I was pregnant" TV show. 

I wake up this morning and I am mostly okay. In some pain and having some muscle spasms from the injury. But I step on the scale and I am still holding down the fort at 31 pounds lighter than I was 3 months ago. Hooray!

I was out trying to do some Christmas shopping. I wanted to get one awesome 'big' gift for my hubby to be and pick up some stuff for another gift. But the world weighed down on my shoulders. Life, money, work, health, wanting to help in so many ways and wanting desperately to show people I care by giving them amazing and thoughtful gifts. I broke down on my way out of the second store. Consumerism has swallowed up the experience of giving at Christmas.

Its great and heartwarming and not at all selfless to want to make someone's Christmas special, but I have realized how hard it is when our society tells us that those feelings must be, should be or can only be bought with money. There is a conflict inside my head. Part of me knows that there is so much more to this world than monetary value, but there is also a learned understanding that money is important and says something about a person's status and is somehow linked to happiness. 

I wanted to run back to the first store and cancel my order. But something inside of me said "what else is there? what else can you give him? what will fill the void left by the lack of this gift?" And I couldn't come up with anything. So, feeling the pressure of materialism and wanting something more than what I had to put underneath the Christmas tree, I didn't go back to the store.

I just sat in my car and cried for a while. Until I realized that some people were ungraciously gawking at my hyper-emotional private sadness. Then I put my sunglasses on and cried some more and sniffled and snorted until I was calm enough to drive to the grocery store. As an emotional eater in such a state as I was, and not having had lunch yet (at 2 pm), this was probably not the best idea. I had a small list of things to get but I also decided to treat myself with random things along my way through the aisles.

This is what I bought (that wasn't on my grocery list):

  • Chocolate Covered Oreo Cookies- which I considered coating in a sweet batter and deep frying, but didn't. Yet :)
  • Herb and Garlic Cheese Ball- for a more sophisticated cheese and crackers. Crackers always settle things when I'm sick,  so cheese and crackers just seemed like a comforting idea.
  • Liberte Mediterranee Lemon Yogurt- not that I need to explain this one, but it's rich, and smooth, and sweet, and tart, and just so good. It's a way better alternative to eating ice cream straight from the tub.
  • Regular Kraft Singles Cheese Slices- we have been trying the fat free ones, but they are just so far from cheese they barely melt and don't taste like much of anything, so this will be a real treat on my breakfast sandwich this weekend.

And then there was supper. I had planned on having Turkey Lasagna to use up the last of the Turkeyzilla leftovers. I hadn't had it for a long time but I looked at my old recipe and decided it needed some updating. This is what I came up with.

Turkey Alfresagna

Ingredients 

  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cups cooked and chopped turkey
  • 1 cup cooked chopped broccoli
  • 1/2 cup cooked chopped spinach or frozen spinach, thawed
  • 1 jar prepared Alfredo sauce (I used Compliments brand because it was cheapest)
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg 
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1 (16 ounce/about 400 g or 1lb) package fresh lasagna noodles
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F. In a large skillet over medium heat saute the chopped onions and garlic in oil until soft and tender and just beginning to brown. Add chopped turkey, spinach and broccoli. Saute for 2 more minutes before adding nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

  2. In a medium sized mixing bowl combine jar of alfredo sauce, ricotta and the egg. Whisk or mix until well combined. Season with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. 

  3. Spray the bottom of an 8x8 inch casserole dish with non stick cooking spray, or rub with olive oil. To assemble, in the bottom of a casserole dish place 1/4 of the alfredo ricotta mixture, then a layer of noodles. Next, place a layer of  1/3 of the turkey vegetable mixture, followed by  1/4 of the alfredo ricotta mixture, and then 1/2 cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat layering process with turkey mixture, alfredo mixture and cheese.When you run out of turkey mixture you should still have 1/4 of the alfredo ricotta mixture and some fresh lasagna sheets left. Create top layer of lasagna using noodles, alfredo mixture and remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese.
  4. Using a tea pot or a measuring cup with a spout, pour 2-3 Tbs of water in each corner of the casserole dish and letting it seep down the sides. This will ensure during baking that the pasta gets cooked through and that the edges don't end up too crunchy or burnt.

  5. Bake in a preheated 350 degree (175 degree C) oven for 45 minutes until heated through and browned and bubbly on top.  Remove from oven and let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

I enjoyed this Alfresagna greatly and it hit the spot in terms of comfort food for a crappy day. I hope it might bring you comfort someday if you need it! Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment