Sunday, February 26, 2012

New Adventures and Old Loves

Okay, so this week has been good and bad for me. I have not made the best food choices. But I have been doing some lovely new exercises. This season in general has kind of been that way. I slipped off the wagon and starting drinking Pop again. Bad Selina. I am weaning myself off it after my short relapse. With the sweet cravings and the fact that sometimes my willpower is simply too weak to resist them, I have been experiencing high blood pressure and hot flashes and poor sleep again. On top of headaches, tummy aches and general sluggishness. Sugar = Bad. I won't harp on this much more.

However, I have been indulging in some very lovely things. Old and New, these things make me happy for various reasons and I thought I would share them with you. Starting with the New Adventure.

I went to my first ever Step class on Saturday. It was intense. And I spent a lot of time aimlessly flailing. And sweating. I am mildly sore but it's that good kind of sore. The "I haven't used those muscles this much in years and I'm exhausted but I feel GOOD in an achy sort of way" sore. Only one class per week fits into my ridiculous schedule, but I think it might be a routine thing for me in the future. For anyone who is scared of trying Step classes (much like me, I was terrified), I highly recommend giving it a go at least once.

And now for the Old Loves.

Basha Pizza and Donair. This is a pizza restaurant in Cole Harbour NS. Owned and operated by dear friends of mine and Robert's, eating and hanging out at this place used to be a weekly ritual. Now it is slightly less frequent and an indulgence. I try (keyword "try") not to over stuff myself when I eat there and consider it a delicious treat. They have the best Garlic Cheese Fingers AND the best Donair meat, Donairs and Donair Panzarottis (and generally the best anything relating to Donairs, including Donair Egg Rolls *drool*) in the Halifax Regional Municipality, and possibly the province/country/world/universe. As far as I am concerned. Note the repetition of the word "Donair." Subliminal messaging much? :)

Two if By Sea. Specifically, the Prosciutto and Cheese Croissant that Two if By Sea offers up almost daily in their little coffee shop in Dartmouth. I have never been to the Halifax location but I am sure it is equally wonderful. My waist is probably lucky that I do not know how to properly make a croissant like Two if By Sea. I mean... butter held together by thin layers of dough? Filled with cured meat and cheese? or Chocolate? I would be a million pound diabetic with kidney failure before I was 30. But as a rich and decadent treat? Oh yes. Yes indeed. This is the perfect weekend morning splurge (after Step class hahaha). With an iced Mocha served on the rocks in a mason jar at a communal table with friends and/or perfectly polite strangers. Because everyone is happy when eating pastries and drinking coffee based beverages.


I apologize for any cravings that may result from reading this post. I encourage you to try new exercises but also to treat yourself to new tasty treats along the way. The key is to find balance between the two. Something I am still trying to do hahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment